Sunday, March 8, 2015

Finally, and Woohoo! We've moved in!

That is Dysthe being shy behind a row of boxes in the kitchen this morning.  We spent the first night in our new house last night, and spent the weekend moving all of our stuff into the place.  Some of these boxes haven't been opened since we taped them shut in 2012.  We may find Hoffa yet...  But I am skipping a few steps, so let me backtrack a little: 

We finally finished the kitchen installation...

...and we spent days on our hands and knees finishing the floors.  (Editor's note: it has come to our attention that some people are still taking me seriously when I try to claim personal credit for the work done.  Rest assured that our contribution comes almost entirely from spending many hours in showrooms picking things out and dealing with spreadsheets.  And paying for it all, of course.)

We got a table, and added a few more lights.

Our guest bathroom vanity arrives (the one you will use when you come visit).  This was Dysthe's baby.  She envisioned this from the get-go, a stainless restaurant work table with a hole cut to drop in a sink.  Very chic!  We still haven't finished this bathroom, but we promise to before you arrive.  Unless you're coming soon.

The laundry room/pantry...

...with a rolling barn door.  If you are wondering why anyone would put a rolling barn door on a laundry room in a fairly modern style house, you clearly have not been watching HGTV (or, as I call it, the Paint Drying Channel).  Because it looks cool, that's why.


This has nothing to do with anything else on this blog.  I am very happy to say that this is not at our home.  It is, in fact, about 800 miles away at a very "wine country style" resort in the Napa Valley.  I stayed there while attending a conference last week.  I am including it because I still laugh every time I remember it.  I have no idea why a portion of their garden was populated by ceramic rabbits being watched over by their friendly guardian jackalope.  I still think they are all squatting as if to poop, but saying so only gets me puzzled looks.  Compared to this lovely tableau, every idea I have ever had for our house is incredibly tasteful, including when I wanted the ceiling lights in the living room to be arranged in the shape of the Big Dipper.

Our new home is the small white thing in the very center of this photo.  Thankfully, it is more level than it appears in the photo.  I will speak to the photographer.  As you can see, we occupy our own little hilltop.  Eventually we hope to fill our hill with vines like the vineyard in the foreground.

Move-in day, and I am googling how to wire a dryer.  You can learn anything on Google.  Google has so much information on it that I actually found 2 different answers to the question of how to connect these wires.  Yes, that really happened.  I'm hoping I don't have to do a search for how to put out an electrical fire.  Wish me luck.

Still a lot of moving in to do, and even a few things to finish.  But this was our breakfast and lunch table today, so we can't complain.  We will come up with more photos to publish, and we still have stories to tell, so keep checking in.  Just not too soon - we don't have internet set up at the house yet.

1 comment:

Herbert Clarke said...

Hello! When you think about it, moving to a new house in an entirely different location is nothing short of grueling. Just think of all the furniture and belongings you have to box and move! And when you arrive, you have to unload them all, and then put them on their new locations. But, the amazing thing about this is that you managed to have fun during the whole experience! Your new house is lovely, by the way. All the best!

Herbert Clarke @ ForteHeavyRemovals